Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I havn't played as much as I expected - Only 800 hands since my last post, but I'm +$365 in them. Sometimes I wonder how much I could make if I ever put in a real workday (8hrs).

I have to share a hand with everyone. Poker is a lot like business: to be successful, you have to maximize profits and minimize losses. Over the long run, every one of your opponents will get the same distribution of cards. It easy to play the best cards, but its what you do with the 2nd best hand that makes or breaks you. This is how you can make folding a weapon in your arsenal:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: HTML)

Button ($206.15)
SB ($418)
BB ($198)
UTG ($35.05)
UTG+1 ($198.60)
MP1 ($214.60)
MP2 ($545.65)
Hero ($239.95)
CO ($154.60)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Ks, Kh.
UTG raises to $4, UTG+1 raises to $12, 2 folds, Hero calls $12, 4 folds, UTG calls $8.

Flop: ($39) 4c, Ac, Kc (3 players)
UTG checks, UTG+1 bets $186.6 (All-In), Hero FOLDS, UTG calls $23.05 (All-In).

Turn: ($248.65) 3h (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($248.65) 9h (2 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: $248.65

Results in white below:
UTG has Jc Qd (high card, ace).
UTG+1 has Ad Ah (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins $248.65.


So what happened here? How was I able to fold 2nd set on the flop? Its not even that difficult if you think about it logically. The villain in the hand raised pretty large pre-flop, so you assume he has a big hand. When the flop comes down with three clubs and he moves all in, you have to assume he's protecting a hand. What I mean is that if he had a flush, he would play it slower and try to draw you in. This is an obvious betting tell. So now that you know you're not agianst a flush, you have to ask 'what hands would he do this with?'. And really, there is only one answer - two aces. Hands like QQ or JJ are scared of the two overcards, and AK is unlikely as you have 2 of the other kings (and one ace is on the flop). I did have a read, and the guy was a fairly tight player, so this made the play easier to make.

I think most people call here without thinking too much about it. I put him on the exact hand he had, and saved myself $200. The power of folding.

June goals update:
+$3161 in cash games over 7122 hands

$4000 is the goal - I should be able to make this, but I have a VERY busy month ahead and I will be away from a computer 10 of the next 17 days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is the dumbest fold ever. If you fold trip kings every time you hit them you are going to lose a lot more in potential winnings than you will lose on the RARE occasion you are beat.

Awful play.